Many women speak openly about their pregnancies; their crazy cravings, unexpected symptoms, and, of course, the joyful anticipation of the day they’d meet their baby face-to-face. Those same moms may be less inclined to share the impact pregnancy had on their physique. Even fit women who eat a healthy diet have trouble with their bodies after pregnancy, and many of them would like to get the pre-pregnancy body back.
Recently, there has been a jump in the number of women opting for a mommy makeover—the popular term for the combination of procedures to restore the body to its before-baby state. A mommy makeover generally involves a form of breast surgery and a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty). Many patients are choosing to have surgery soon after they’ve finished having children, rather than waiting until later in life. And why not? With so many mommy makeover options, there’s no reason to wait.
A tummy tuck is the most basic piece of the mommy makeover, because during pregnancy, the muscles and skin of the abdomen are often pulled and stretched beyond their ability to truly bounce back. There are options for the tummy tuck:
- Partial tummy tuck (mini-abdominoplasty). This procedure focuses only on the lower abdomen, tightening the muscles and removing excess skin.
- Complete tummy tuck (abdominoplasty). This surgical approach addresses the muscles, skin, and fat deposits of both the upper and lower abdomen.
As far as breast surgery goes, there are several options for mommy makeover procedures.
- Breast lift (mastopexy). During this procedure, the breasts are raised and reshaped to correct sagging due to pregnancy or nursing. The size of the areolas may be reduced as well.
- Breast augmentation. During breast augmentation surgery, the size and shape of the patient’s breasts are enhanced. Often, breasts lose volume after pregnancy and nursing, and this surgery will help restore youthful vitality.
- Breast lift and augmentation. Patients often opt to combine breast lift surgery with augmentation surgery for maximum results. Lifting the breast tissue and restoring shape and volume at the same time allows the patient to achieve full, energetic breasts in the same procedure.
- Breast reduction. Women who had very large breasts before pregnancy may find the issue is worse after bearing children. If heavy, sagging breasts are causing discomfort, a woman may choose to incorporate breast reduction surgery as part of her mommy makeover.
While breast surgery and a tummy tuck are the classic components of a mommy makeover, many patients choose to include liposuction as well, to refine their curves or remove stubborn fat deposits left by fluctuating hormones. Liposuction is often used to further enhance the results of a surgical procedure.
With so many options, it’s not surprising that lots of women are deciding to have their mommy makeovers as soon as they are finished having children. There’s no reason to delay getting that pre-pregnancy body back! Come talk to Dr. Zevon to discuss what variety of mommy makeover you may need.